Saturday, September 27, 2008

It's Tomato Season

One of my favorite weekend morning activities is to get up early and head to the local farmer's market. This morning we hit the Davis Farmers Market around 10:00 A.M. The Davis Farmers Market isn't as big as some of the markets around Sacramento, only we are headed to Apple Hill tomorrow so we decided to see what Davis had to offer today.

The Davis Farmers market has been going for 32 years and is open year-round on Saturday mornings. What I love most about this particular market is the number of organic vendors. Tomato season is one of my favorite times. There is every size and color of tomatoes. Cherry, grape, heirloom and more. I picked out a basket of yellow cherry tomatoes. Since the yellow cherry variety is so low in acid they are sugary sweet and perfect as a healthy snack or in a salad of basil leaves, olive oil and sea salt (see my recipe included in this post). If you are wondering about the non-"green" tomato basket...I wash them and return them to the vendors who reuse them.

There were still some strawberries available. It is getting late in strawberry season, most of the local vendors have closed up shop for the season only there are still some local producers who have some lingering berries. I scooped up a 3-pack of organic strawberries, raspberries and yellow raspberries (which if you haven't tried yet...might be worth the trip to Sacramento just to taste, they have a softer more delicate flavor than traditional purple raspberries). The 3-pack was only $10 and now I have an assortment of sweet berries for the week ahead. I heard about a yellow raspberry crisp with a crust inspired by a Bon Appetit recipe for rosemary crisp topping. Since I finally convinced my Yorkie to stop walking in my herb garden, I now have some nice rosemary growing that will be perfect for this recipe. I might have to try it tomorrow...

Next I hit up my favorite mushroom booth and purchased some white button mushrooms to use with my yellow cherry tomatoes for a fresh and light pasta after work one night this week. We finished off our morning listening to a local jazz band and picking up a pepper plant for a birthday gift for a barbecue we were attending tonight.

We were so excited about how pretty our produce looked we even snapped some pictures when we got home to share with all of you...

Davis Farmers Market Organic Yellow Cherry Tomato Salad
1 basket of organic yellow cherry tomatoes
1 small handful of fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp. local organic olive oil
freshly ground pepper to taste
sea salt to taste

Cut the yellow cherry tomatoes in half and place in a salad bowl. Gently tear the handful of fresh basil leaves and add to the bowl with the cherry tomatoes. Add olive oil, freshly ground pepper and sea salt. Mix gently, garnish with basil leaves and serve.

Davis Farmers Market
Central Park
4th and C Streets
Saturdays, 8:00 A.M.-1:00 P.M., year-round

No comments: